Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Reason

Okay, so I've briefly touched on why Idahoans absolutely suck at driving. And when I say briefly I mean it. There are so much more bad driving habits that I can talk about, but I'll keep it simple for now. But amongst all this horrid drivng there derrives one big question. WHY? Everything has a reason, but why is it that Idahoans cannot figure out how to accomplish the simple task of driving correctly.

I've discussed this thoroughly with my father over the past 10 years. The main and simple conclusion is the fact that most Idahoans are used to driving on two-lane roads. Large urban 4-lane roads have only been common in Idaho in the last 10 years or so. That leaves most Idaho drivers that are used to driving one two lane roads. About 55% of the population is over 30 years of age, but only 1/3rd of the remaining population can drive. There is approx 20% of the population that is used to driving on four-lane roads, but who were they taught by? They were taught by the same people that are used to driving on two lane roads.

Its almost like reverse evolution. The same teachings just keep being handed down, and no one learns anything new. Which further reduces the 20% of young new drivers to, lets say, a good 10% of good drivers. So 10% of good drivers fill the roads, but we can also add in others who have moved to Idaho from other states and do know how to drive. This knocks up the percentage to about 15%. Add these together and 25% of the population knows how to drive correctly.

Keep in mind that this is all in theory and none of these percentages are factual. Sadly, there have been no actual surveys on how well people drive. Its all opinionated.

Even with this opinionation I feel that these numbers are fairly accurate, and if you've driven the streets of Idaho, you should agree with me.

After a while, the good driver percentage will rise thanks to others moving in from out-of-state, and people will start to learn by the driving example of other good drivers, and start to drive better themselves. How long this will take I'm not sure, but hopefully it will expand faster than I expect it to.

Idaho populations statistics:
http://cityinfo.local.com/zip-code-information/idaho-population

No comments:

Post a Comment